Saturday 18 February 2012

Roast aubergine and sweet potato soup

Something I have been enjoying doing to help the weight loss effort is making soup for my lunches. I do one big batch which usually makes 6 portions and I do a different one each week. If I had time to do several batches within days of each other I would fill the freezer with different types of soup. I will try and make new soups every now and then using vegetables I don't often use!

Yesterday I made aubergine (egg plant) and sweet potato soup. Here's the rough recipe.

Ingredients.
3 aubergines halved lengthways
1 White onion and 1 red onion chopped finely
1 large carrot peeled, halved (or cut into 3 if very large)and each half sliced into 3 bits
2 peeled sweet potatoes, sliced thickly.
5 closed cup mushrooms
1 vegetable stock cube
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon thyme
Garlic powder (or fresh garlic) to taste
Water
Oil

Place the aubergines flat bit down on an oiled tray (or two!). Fill the gaps with the carrot and sweet potato. Brush with oil. Roast in the oven at 200 celcius for half an hour or so, turning half way through. Take them out and leave them to cool.

Fry up the onion (and garlic if using fresh) until soft.

Take the sweet potato and carrot and add them to the onion. Get a spoon or table knife and scoop the aubergine flesh from the skin and add
it to the onion. Chop the mushroom finely and add that too. Crumble a vegetable stock cube over and add enough water to completely cover the vegetables. Add the bay leaf, thyme and garlic powder (unless you've used fresh) and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all the vegetables (particularly the carrots) are soft.

Remove the bay leaf and transfer the mixture to a blender, working in batches if necessary. I needed to add extra water afterwards as the soup was very thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment